I’ve always been one to enjoy learning random facts about people. Whether its about someone I’m just getting to know or maybe someone I’ve known my entire life, I feel like everyone has something fun and interesting about them that might otherwise not have been shared through everyday interactions. Remember back in the day when chain emails would get sent around where you’d share answers to a list of questions like whether you prefer toast to cereal and how many letters are in your middle name? Well, today’s post is kind of like that, only I won’t be sharing my breakfast preferences.
Here are 10 random things about me:
1. The better part of my youth was spent riding and showing horses. While it wasn’t as much my thing as it was my mom’s, I appreciate all it taught me and how close it brought me to my mother.
2. I played rugby for one year in college on a club team. This was my thing.
3. For a short period of time while I was still working as a clinical dietitian, I volunteered with our state aquarium to help feed their marine animals including seals and otters. The only reason I stopped was because the drive was too far (2 hours each direction).
4. I have my boating license yet have never operated anything other than a jet ski.
5. Five years in a row, I plunged into the ice cold Atlantic Ocean in February with one of my dearest friends to raise money for the Special Olympics. Actually four years in a row – the last year she was preggo so her husband took the plunge in her place.
6. I’ve done three half-marathons, each time swearing afterwards that I’d never do it again because my knees hurt too much. At my last race I ended up walking 75% of it.
7. After years of wishing I’d studied abroad while an undergrad, I set out to finally accomplish my goal of traveling through Europe by doing a summer program during grad school at the ripe and married age of 30. Though I was the oldest student on the trip, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I still keep in close touch with the friends made and we continue to travel together regularly.
8. My family had several large birds when I was a kid, including an umbrella cockatoo who bit my top lip when I was 10, resulting in several stitches. I still have the scar to remember it by.
9. Total tiny house enthusiast, right here. I seriously lust over pictures of small living spaces like a kid drooling over a toy catalog. I mostly think this is because I yearn for that level of minimalism and maximization of space in my own life. So much efficiency stuffed into so little square footage makes my heart flutter. Of course it also doesn’t hurt that they are usually impeccably decorated.
10. I have three tattoos: one that I got when I was a college freshman (which I drew myself) and two that were done this year.
Now its your turn – I’d love to know a fun fact about you! 🙂