Haaaaaappy Wednesday! The snow has melted, we had a mini spring yesterday and now its back to winter again but at least there is no more snow on the ground! Not that the snow wasn’t beautiful and wonderful but it was so nice to lay on the ground yesterday, look up at the trees and enjoy the beautiful day without a dozen layers.
Last week I whipped up my first batch of crackers for 2018. While I used to make them more frequently last year (since crackers were one of our favorite go-to snacks before moving over to a package free lifestyle) it was kind of low on my priority list as we were wrapping up the year. This doesn’t mean we went out and bought them – we just went without (and ate popcorn when we needed a salt tooth fix, hehe).
Realizing on New Years Eve that I still had a lot of the rye flour I’d bought back in July (straight from the mill where it was ground up) along with a lot of other ingredients that needed to be used up I got a little creative when making this batch crackers, which was inspired by this recipe.
I have to say everyone was excited to have some homemade crackers in the house (teenie could barely wait for them to come out of the oven). I’ve made several more different batches since last week but this one has been our favorite flavor combo so far!!
Now onto the recipe!
Homemade Rye Crackers
Yield: Makes about 1.5 to 2 large mason jars worth (sorry for the imprecise measurement). 😄
2 cups rye flour
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
4 TBSP garlic & herb seasoning – salt free (the one I used had sesame seeds in it but you could just add some in if yours doesn’t)
4 TBSP olive oil
1-2 TBSP honey
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat over to 325F.
2. Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
3. Whisk eggs, olive oil and honey then add to dry ingredients.
4. Add water gradually until you get a cohesive ball (you may or may not use all the water).
5. Roll out a section of dough onto floured surface.
6. Transfer to a lightly flour covered cookie sheet or pizza pan and continue to roll out/press out until thin.
7. Cut in both directions across with pizza cutter into cracker size.
8. Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown – they should be crisp.
9. Let cool completely before transferring to an airtight container.
10. Enjoy within a few days to a week! 😘