HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Welcome to 2018 – a new year with endless possibilities! Have you set any goals for yourself this year? I have to be honest, I was so busy trying to finish up 2017 strong and get as much tackled as I could that I hadn’t had a chance to collect my thoughts for the new year into a cohesive list until this week. Since it feels a little behind the mark to share my goals for the year almost a week in, today’s post is coming before looking back at 2017. I know its a bit backwards but sometimes that’s just how I roll. 🙂
General goals for the year
1. Continue to buy used over new. If new, try to choose products that are sustainable and ethically made.
2. Keep working on reducing our footprint as much as possible – particularly with energy and water usage.
Some of the things I’d like to tackle this year:
- Get a rain barrel.
- Work on system utilizing gray water better.
- Shorter showers.
- Eliminate wasted running water.
- Utilize leftover cooking water.
- Keep lights off during the day if possible.
- Get in the habit of making sure lights are turned off in unoccupied rooms.
- Install a screen door to allow for more fresh airflow into our kitchen and more days without AC during warmer months.
3. Tackle digital clutter and mental clutter.
- Put an end to procrastination – get into the habit of tackling things right away instead of putting them off.
4. Spend more time with friends and family.
- Try not to go more than 6 months without seeing friends (whether it be by way of an in person visit or online video chat).
- Have more gatherings at our house.
5. Get into the habit of reading (books) daily, even if only for 10 minutes before bed.
Since I don’t have any one big thing I want to tackle like last year’s closet fast, this year I plan to do monthly challenges similar to no-spend September and no-wash November. I really enjoy doing these sorts of mini challenges because they allow me to intently focus my energy on one thing at a time rather than trying to trying to juggle a whole bunch at once (increasing the likelihood of failure).
I also plan to continue monthly purchase recaps! Having to report publicly what I bought last year really held me accountable and made sure I thought through every purchase. As it turns out, you guys liked it too!! 🙂
This month my goal is to get our butts outside for at least 30 minutes each day. This does not include the time it takes to walk to and from the car to run errands but rather 30-minutes dedicated solely to outdoor play/activity. This may seem like a silly goal seeing as I generally love being outdoors buuuut that’s when it’s warm…not so much during the freezing cold. Like many folks, I turn into a hermit when arctic weather comes around. But being cramped up inside makes me feel a little sour and by February I’m a total seasonally affective mess. Plus I want teenie to want to go outside and I fear that if too often her requests to play outside are turned down so I can work on something indoors, then her requests will eventually cease…and that would kill me. So out we go!!
We missed January 1 because let’s me honest, it’s kind of a throw away day. 😉 This kind of works out perfectly though because now it will be 30 days of 30 minutes! That’s much catchier than 31 days of 30 minutes…right? hehe
Follow along on our chilly day adventures on Instagram/Instastories and come back Friday for a look back at 2017 and my 12 month closet fast!