Breaking Out The Sewing Machine

I don’t normally post on weekends but this one is under special circumstances.

As you may know, my goal for June was to break out the sewing machine that I got for my birthday back in April. Realizing the potential that a sewing machine could bring, this was the one and only brand new object was on my birthday list because I felt like its purchase would be completely justifiable in helping to keep waste out of landfills – whether it be to repair/repurpose the worn and tattered or create something reusable. After lots of research I chose to get the Brother CS 6000i because it was “the perfect sewing machine for newbies.”

But months passed and there it sat in my office closet, sealed up in its original box, just waiting to be used for all the things I had planned for it. Project after project to reduce waste, summer and procrastination (let’s just call a spade a spade here) all led to delays in setting up this sewing machine. When my June goal didn’t happen, I set out to take it for a test run in July. Now, I’d be lying if I said I met this goal. July was just as crazy and before I knew it, the month was over. Determined to not let another 30 days pass without opening that box, I set out to get that sucker up and running by the end of this week. I figured by posting to follow up for an update about what happened I’d have to finally get it done. And so I did! A little later than I hoped but within the week nonetheless.

You know how procrastination normally occurs when a task as a whole seems complicated or time consuming but when its broken down into parts becomes much more manageable?  Well, I decided it was time to take that approach. One day, I took the box down from the shelf. Another day I opened it up and pulled everything out, got one look at all the little parts and instructions, said “nope” and put everything on a desk in my office to be left alone for almost a week.

Once the dust settled, I picked back up the instructions. My first reaction was “what on earth have I gotten myself into?.”  They read like a foreign language (for someone who has never seen this information before) and within the first couple of pages I felt totally lost…

I truly didn’t think it could be but so complicated.  So I did what any 21st century visual-auditory learner does and took to YouTube for a video tutorial. Thank the lawd for YouTube! It’s funny because with the very first tutorial I watched, right out of the gate the chickie said exactly what I was feeling, which was that the manual was really difficult to follow and that it took her forever to figure everything out. After this I got a better sense of what I needed to be doing, the instructions started to actually make sense and confirmed that, as I suspected, it wasn’t rocket science.

So the next day I took that sewing machine out for a spin and it…was…awesome!

Filling up the bobbin with the thread I am going to use before threading the top needle (fyi: the bobbin is a little separate spool that goes into the base of the machine to sew from below…because apparently they like it from the top and the bottom).
And we have “stitch” off!! Yaaaaay!!!

Once I got it up and running it was actually quite easy and really exciting to see it in action! I did a couple test runs, first just along a piece of cotton fabric to see it do its thang and then to see how it would do with the edge folded over.  To get a feel for how it worked I was like a kid with a toy car, zigging and zagging all over.

I promise this is not a case of sewing under the influence, lol.

While there is still a lot left to figure out with all of the other parts, I’m psyched to be able to now at least get started on some basic projects!!

Thanks for stopping by! Come back Wednesday to read about what I learned while cloth diapering. 🙂

xo, Erica